Hi ya’ll, as you know, the most time-crunching meal of the day for me is breakfast. When I want more than just bulletproof coffee, I opt for hot breakfast quinoa cereal. The combo of stewed fruit and quinoa keeps me satisfied for hours. No one likes to be hangry when taking on Los Angeles traffic! Read below to see how I make it. I promise you, it’s really good.
1 cup of quinoa
2 cups of water
4 cups seasonal fresh fruit chopped into bite size pieces. I’ve been using mostly apples and pears. If you do berries you will need to be careful to not over cook. The berries will turn to mush which is cool if you’re into that texture. I am not.
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons ghee (optional)
1/2 cup water
2 separate stock pots with lids
- First, take all your chopped fruit and place it in a pot
- Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, water and ghee (if using).
- Cover the pot and low simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Since I am a multi-tasker, I generally turn this on and then jump in the shower and start getting ready killing two birds with one stone.
- In a separate pot, follow the cooking instructions on your quinoa package. I like to start the water and quinoa together, bring to a boil then turn the heat down to a very low boil and cover for the last bit of cooking time. It is VERY easy to burn and overcook quinoa so keep a careful eye on your precious cargo.
- Once the quinoa is fully cooked, use a fork to fluff.
- I use about a cup and a half of the cereal and a cup of the fruit per serving. I also add a few raw nuts, shredded coconut and a small serving of fruit juice sweetened cranberries to the party. Top with a dash of Califa almond milk and enjoy!